Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Christmas ?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Risu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    659
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jackrum:

    Those pagans were on to something, when in the beginning they burnt the Christmas tree. Think what an ice-breaker that could be at Christmas parties.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ohhhhhh no... there are already too many morons that burn down their houses trying to use a deep fryer on their turkeys at Thanksgiving (in the US). Can you imagine the number of people who'd burn down their entire neighborhoods with a flaming Christmas tree? If you don't dry the wood properly the sap pops and bursts and flaming sap and needles flying all over the neighborhood... @_@;;;;; I worry enough about people with real trees and bad electric lights! (But then I live in an apartment that had a fire a few years before I moved in anyway, so I'm jumpy...)

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Winter's Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm Wiccan, and thus celebrate Yule, and will be doing so this year. It'll be the opening of presents, hanging out with friends, and seeing a movie. We're not exactly hardcore into the ritual of things yet, methinks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    I'll also be spending Christmas Eve with my mother, which will include a nice dinner, and some more present-opening.

    This is technically the first Christmastime I've spent not celebrating on Christmas day, and Christmas day will be spent alone, so it'll be a little weird, but I can get used to it. Yule with friends who like me is much more fun than Christmas with a fa ily who continually gets on my nerves and sends me into fits of anger and depression.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Celstarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm Catholic and I do celebrate Christmas. This is the first time I'm celebrating it without a Christmas tree and all though, lol.

    I like Christmas alot, especially the warm fuzzy feeling. O_o And my favourite part of the whole thing would be wrapping the presents I get for everyone. (Yes, I have this insane LOVE of wrapping things. From my manga to my mousepad. T__T) and also hinting to my dad what I want for Christmas. >eviiilll<

    Eg. "Daaaad. You know, today I was playing Final Fantasy XI at Cheryl's house."
    "Uh-huh."
    "It RULEZ I tell you!"

    O_o

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Jojjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think I've celebrated Christmas in the same way during all of my (soon to be) 17 Christmas.

    In Swedish, it's called Jul so not many kids make the association to christianity or religion. Of course, there are the carols and some teachers read from the bible but to most kids, I guess, it's just a part of the tradition.

    As for my familly we usually repeat the same things every year, only sometimes, we change location (cousins house, grandparent's house etc).
    Christmas shopping is usually finished the weekend befor christmas and five-four days before the 24th, we buy a tree which is "dressed" two or three days later.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Jojjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ...Aaand I was cut off before I could finish.

    Don't worry, this'll be short, but the small scientist in me would just like to wonder how many others celebrate christmas with presents on the 24th and chuch-visits (if you like) on the morning of the 25th?

    Also, how many other countries have the tradition that Santa (dressed up relatives) comes to your door to deliver presents instead of dropping them down the chimeny?

  6. #16
    Inactive Member ^fluffy^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2002
    Posts
    41
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hmm... it looks like my christmas is the dullest one compared to everyone here.... nothing changes since the last time i had a pretty christmas tree when i was 7... going to church with friends in the 24th evening.. going back home... daydreaming or watching some special christmas programmes on tv maybe with a couple of friends... my parents are working even in 24th....
    eh.. anyway, there is a really weird thing happening here in indonesia, in the public school, just to let you know, the majority of indonesian ppl are moslem, so they have a long long holiday during fasting period and they only have a two day holiday in christmas, which are 25th dec and 1st jan!!! and guess what?? their exam for the 1st semester will start on 29th of dec!! the system is exam-dayoff-exam-dayoff-exametc, so their 2nd day will be on 31st of dec then throughout new year to 10th of jan or something like that..... isnt it just so unfair?? good thing it doesnt happen to me ^__^ although the majority in the country are moslem, but there are heaps of christians there in the school....
    hey, yakitori is from indo?? sameee!! ^o^

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ December 17, 2003 11:07 AM: Message edited by: ^fluffy^ ]</font>

  7. #17
    Inactive Member aramaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2003
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hoeeeh~~ fluffy..you're from indonesia too o__0
    (just realised about this ^^;; ) I'm so slow xDDD

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i loooooovvve christmas!! but im not christian or religious in any way. so christmas to me is about family and presents!! we always go down to my american grandparents house (i say american cuz they live here ..but my grandmother is actually frech-canadian and my grandfather is half portugueese and half english) there i play with all of younger cousins (like 15 of em and their little friends!!) me and my bro are the only older cousins who play with the little ones. we always wrestle and manage to break something. guess im getting old for it now...but come on building snow forts is fun at any age!!

    this year though, im spending christmas on a plane on my way to panama. which means...not official christmas...cuz christmas eve we will bebusy and christmas day we'll be stuck in an airport. but oh well...theres always new years. and new years in panama is more fun^_^

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Crystallyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2003
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow, so many responses! [img]cool.gif[/img]

    Lol, I forgot to say about me! So here goes:

    I'm Christian, so we do celebrate Christmas, but we don't go to church for it. My family has a big party with all the close friends on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas Day we have a quiet morning at home, then eat lunch/dinner with friends/family.

    ~Crystal

    PS: XD Risu-chan, you didn't actually say whether you celebrated Christmas or not. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Risu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    659
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ^^;;;; okay, here's the actual answer...

    technically I celebrate Christmas itself, but for me the holiday is so tied into "I have to go back to my family's house for at least 24 hours and be bitched at, around, and over by my abusive, bipolar, and paranoid father the entire time" that it's more an annual misery to be survived than a celebration of anything... I never know when I step into the house whether it's going to be OK for a while or whether it's going to go straight into the latest tirade on me, my brother, my brother's girlfriend, the state of the universe, or anything else.

    The rest of the year I celebrate it NOT being Christmas, if you see what I mean... ^^;;;;

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •